8 Sustainable Lifestyle Changes That You Can Make Today
The beginning is the most important part of the work. – Plato
The environmental problems may seem too big for easy solutions and one person to resolve. But it would be a mistake to think that individuals are powerless to do anything. Small changes may not amount to much, but sustained efforts over time can make a difference in reducing individual impact to the environment. If you are thinking of making sustainable lifestyle changes, here are some of the many things you can do today.
1. Make the most of daylight. Be conscious about how you are using lights at home. Take advantage of natural lighting. Open the curtains, drapes, or blinds to let the sunlight in whenever possible.
2. Unplug electronic devices and appliances when not in use. Unplugging devices stop them from drawing power even when you turn them off. This can help you save on electricity and lower your bills over time.
3. Learn more about going chemical-free. Start paying attention to the household products and personal care items you use around the house. Educate yourself about harmful chemicals. Start reading labels on products you use to see if they contain the chemicals that harm the environment. Switch to natural products you can either buy or make using ingredients you can find at home.
4. Say not to bottled water. Always carry your own reusable water bottle and just refill it if needed.
5. Stop using plastic straws.
6. Reduce, reuse, and recycle. Be more conscious about your daily consumption habits. Buy fewer things that will only add to the waste you need to throw away. Avoid buying products that come with too much packaging. Opt for reusable items and recycle what you can.
7. Eat and shop local. Buy your food from farmers’ markets. Pick locally-grown produce if you are shopping at the supermarket. Eat in-season fruits and vegetables. Dine in restaurants that use local ingredients.
8. Green your transportation. Carpool, bike, walk, or take the public transportation when you can. Combine errands so you can make the trips all at once.